Thursday, April 15, 2010

Time to kick the tires and light the fires.

While not "technically" the first race of the 2010 season (Snotcycle was numero uno), the Leesburg Bakers Dozen kicks off the racing season this weekend after a long, snowy winter.  I missed the registration (sold out in 58 minutes) while tubing with the kids.  Several other avenues never bore any fruit and I resigned myself to a supporting role this time around.  Then, about a week ago, Walsh asks if I ever found a spot and if not, would I like to join his three person co-ed team.  The epic winter conditions conspired to keep me off the bike and on my skis most of the winter.  So, naturally, I was very excited to be part of a team for this race.  I jumped aboard with both feet and can't wait until Saturday.  This race is usually more like a race within a festival.  Setup and camp the whole weekend if you like, kids races, the main event, bonfires and bluegrass are all on tap for this weekend.  The boy said he wants to race and he'll have plenty of competition from the Kegley boys (among others).  Me, I'm just happy I get to ride my bike and hang out with my friends.

Oh, and the Blue-Eyed Devil is writing again, with a vengeance!  Just doesn't get much better than this.

1 comment:

Blue-eyed Devil said...

Damn, man, you're too kind. I'll have some ice cold ones waiting for you at the race: I took your support spot, ha.